Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Step 23!

Thing 23- Here are some final thoughts:

My favorite “things” were number 12 (creating your own search engine using Rollyo) and number 18 (using online word processing/spreadsheet tools). I found it really fun to create my own customized search tool where I could only include the sites that I wanted. Also, it’s incredibly useful to be able to use an online word processing tool since so many people still have Word/Excel 2003 even though 2007 has been available for some time now.

Even though I was familiar with most of these “things” before I started this project, I still learned a great deal. I learned some new “things” and also became more familiar with some other “things”. I think this exercise is very relevant whether you are a technology beginner or a technology whiz.

I think some other “things” that librarians should know about are FaceBook, Smart Phones, and BlackBoard. I find that in my current position I need to be familiar with these. A complete list of 101 things for librarians to know can be found at: http://www.libraryman.com/blog/101rtk/. (BlackBoard is not on this list, but I think it should be.) While I think it’s important that we know about these things, I also hope that we don’t loose site of the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment